Wednesday, May 6, 2009

95. On levers and catapults


I tell you, this Wednesday was an excellent day for the blossoming of stupidity. I won’t mention the events, they’re not worth our time. Instead, I’ll reflect on my fear that the future may not have that much of a future if that interplay between clinging to ignorance and practicing its deployment doesn’t hit one day the principle of entropy. Idiocy, indeed, seems to be gaining energy and finding new adepts all the time.

These are the moments when I truly feel lonely, walls encircling me, airtight. My thoughts vacuum-sealed. My speech insulated. My hopefulness in a zip-lock. Potential hermetically cut off, with nowhere to go. Surrounded on all sides by a wide, vicious, high-risk cluelessness. Unenlightenment unfurling more of its thick darkness.

I tell you also, the tradition of vigorous debates has vanished.

The only light on the horizon is with Archimedes. Solutions perhaps available if we address the problems of our reasoning (or absence of) from a down-to-earth mechanical perspective, as burdensome as these issues may seem. Matter-of-factness to describe human dilemmas, as intractable or heavy as they may appear.

It is true that a huge weight can be moved by a tiny force. It’s our only chance. These fools out there aren’t equipped to understand that, unaware knowledge can affect lives.

It ensues that intellectual transformation can come from simply having a place where to stand, a firm position, given that we know there’s a precise relationship between the weight that hinders judgment and its distance from the fulcrum.

The exact place where a dash of cleverness can pivot, like a simple, efficient machine.


That would be my advice for today.

Laolao


No comments: